Life at the moment is busy. And expensive.
Juggling training, work, buying our first flat and planning a wedding means 9pm meals have become the norm.
If I am cooking at 9pm the likelihood is I’m hangry and don’t have the patience to make a fancy quinoa based Instagram worthy meal.
Enter the hero meals. Fast. Healthy. Cheap
I’m a great believer in trial and error in the kitchen. For me, recipes change dependant on what I have the flat. My method is to chuck it all together, dance and have fun.
Dancing is optional. Fun is not!
Salmon Rice Bowl
- Chuck your choice of veg in the microwave and cook it. (Then remove from microwave).
- Chuck your rice pack in the microwave to cook it.
- Fry up an egg per person whilst your rice is cooking.
- Throw the rice in a bowl, top with the veg, smoked salmon and egg.
Homemade beans on toast
Tin of beans, any beans, just pick a bean (as long as it’s not in a sauce). I like pinto the best.
Tin of tomatoes
Herbs and spices
- Chop up an onion
- Fry off onion with garlic, herbs and spices in a frying pan. I tend to use basil, chilli and a wee bit of cumin.
- Throw in your drained beans.
- Throw in your tin of tomatoes and a tiny squeeze of honey
- Cook down for 5 minutes or until reduced (in the meantime you can either dance around the kitchen or stretch)
- Toast your bread
- Throw beans and toast on plate.
- Pop your grill on at full whack.
- Chop up whatever veggies you have in the house.
- Fry them off for a couple of minutes in a frying pan.
- Chuck in any herbs and spices you fancy. I’m partial to a bit of basil and chilli salt.
- Beat your eggs together with a splash of milk. I tend to use 6 (this makes enough for Jamie and I).
- Chuck the eggs in with the veg.
- Cook on the hob for a minute or so.
- Sprinkle on top mixed seeds.
- Whack it under the grill under golden brown.
Currently: Counting down the days until moving flat day!
Training today: Morning swim
Adventure so far this week: Given the fact it’s Monday, I don’t have a lot to report…highlight so far? Finding a discount code for myprotein.